I've seen a lot of discussion recently about exploring spreading the effective altruism movement to high school students.
I find this to be extremely interesting, because I think that more and more, people are coming to the conclusion that allowing high school students to discover EA would be really beneficial. As the student leader of a high school EA club, I couldn't agree more.
On the other hand, I understand that one concern that people were voicing was that major EA concepts might fly over the heads of most high school students. Such concepts might be earning to give or effective charity evaluation. Though it could be said that as a high school student I understand these concepts, say I'm not the average high school student, and my EA understanding is not representative of high school students as a whole.
The truth tells quite a different story- because many high school students have either university or the workplace not far ahead of them, they are certainly inclined to think about optimizing their future for the common good. Because of this, high school is an excellent time to begin introducing EA topics to people.
Combining youthful idealism with a practical future focus is something that would definitely attract high school students to effective altruism.
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
EA for High School Students
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment